Music is an universal language. Research shows that music can positively affect our health and well being. The harmonica is unique among the wind instrument as it requires both inhaling and exhaling. By practicing simple therapeutic breathing exercises every day, you will experience health gains while having fun making music. Yvonnick is part of Musician on Call and brings each week the joyful sound of harmonica at the various hospitals and New York health care facilities, playing for children and elderly people.
Benefits of playing the harmonica includes but are not limited to:
- Learn and improve breathing
- The goal is increasing lung power and lung capacity.
- Reduction of stress, anxiety and depression
- Improve communication skills
- Regulate heart rate and blood pressure
- Improve your concentration level
Some hospitals offer harmonica classes for patient with pulmonary diseases such as El Camino based in Mountain View, California.